Fourth launch in five days for Skegness RNLI lifeboats

Monday 11 October 2010

Author: Russell Matthews

Fourth launch in five days for Skegness RNLI lifeboats
Skegness RNLI lifeboats investigate unoccupied yacht, aground

Both RNLI lifeboats at Skegness were called out on Saturday (9th oct) morning to investigate a sailing yacht aground near Gibraltar Point, south of Skegness.

The inshore lifeboat, Peterborough Beer Festival IV launched just after 8am followed shortly afterwards by the all-weather lifeboat Lincolnshire Poacher.

The 15ft vessel Shadow Fox was unoccupied and is thought to have broken free of her mooring on the Norfolk coast, drifting across The Wash during the night.

A crew member from the inshore lifeboat was put on board the boat to confirm it was unoccupied and rig a tow. She was then towed into shallow water and left at anchor while coastguards investigated where the boat had come from.

Both lifeboats returned to Skegness at 9:15am.

Second shout on Saturday for Skegness RNLI lifeboats

Both Skegness RNLI lifeboats were called upon for the second time on Saturday to assist a motor cruiser in trouble south of Gibraltar Point.

The all weather lifeboat Lincolnshire Poacher launched at 3:25pm and transferred two crew members onto the vessel to attend to the occupants and rig a tow.

The 25ft vessel Eponene was on passage from Lowestoft to Hull in choppy sea conditions and ran out of fuel. Two of the three people on board were suffering from seasickness and the third was in need of medical assistance for a pre-existing condition.

RAF helicopter Rescue 125 was called to transfer the casualties to hospital but was unable to winch them off the lifeboat. The inshore lifeboat was launched to take over the tow while the three casualties were brought ashore on the Lincolnshire Poacher to waiting paramedics on Skegness beach.

The ALB was recovered onto her carriage then immediately re-launched to continue the tow, with the vessel finally being left at anchor near the mouth of the river at Gibraltar Point.

Both lifeboats returned to Skegness, beaching at 8:15pm.

Fourth launch in five days for Skegness RNLI lifeboats

Skegness RNLI lifeboats have launched for the fourth time in five days this morning (Monday) after a yacht went aground near Gibraltar Point.

Both lifeboats were called out at 3:45am to the 18ft sailing yacht Nella Ray, aground near the entrance to the river at Gibraltar Point, south of Skegness, with one person and a dog on board.

One crew member from each lifeboat was transferred to the yacht to help rig a tow to pull her free. After several attempts to free the yacht, she was finally re-floated and towed into deeper water.

The volunteer lifeboat crew then had to wait for the tide to rise to allow the yacht to be towed into the river to safe mooring at Gibralter Point.

The lifeboats returned to Skegness at 8:30am.

The incident was the fourth time in five days the lifeboats have been requested to launch following call outs on Thursday and twice on Saturday.

Latest Launches

22/08/2019 03:58

Assistance Given

View Launch Record

Total Launches 2020


ILB Launches 2020

Inshore Lifeboat Launches


ALB Launches 2020

All-weather Lifeboat Launches


Our website uses cookies so that you can place enquiries and we can provide a better service. Continue to use the site as normal if you're happy with this, or find out how to manage cookies.   x