Skegness RNLI Lifeboat Ball raises £8,000 with help from Centrica
Tuesday 11 October 2011
Author: Russell Matthews
The first Skegness RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution) Lifeboat Ball in association with Centrica has been hailed a huge success having raised £8,002.91 for the charity that saves lives at sea.
The fundraising event, held at The Suncastle, Skegness, on Saturday night was attended by nearly 160 guests - each given a 'Golden Ticket' opportunity to win a trip on the Skegness lifeboat Lincolnshire Poacher - and was sponsored or supported by over 30 local and national companies.
Title sponsors Centrica Energy have close ties to the area as operators of the Inner Dowsing and Lynn wind farms off Skegness, and the nearby Lincs wind farm, currently being constructed by fellow event sponsors, MPI Offshore.
The evening featured entertainment by jazz quartet Tufty Gordon and Friends, and eight-piece band Soul Intention.
Event organiser, Skegness lifeboat Second Coxswain Ray Chapman, said the night had been more successful than he'd ever imagined.
Ray said: "When we set out to organise a fundraising ball our primary goal was to create a memorable night and to establish the event as an annual fixture. We've been overwhelmed by the level of support received from local companies and the generosity of our guests on the night - thank you to everyone who helped make the event such a success."
Nearly £1,500 was raised on the raffle with prizes including an iPad 2 donated by Taylors Ford, a 40" Samsung TV donated by East Lindsey District Council and table sponsors, and a Xbox 360 with Kinect donated by Skegness Springs Ltd.
The auction generated over £1,700 with lots ranging from a 15-minute trial helicopter lesson, a VIP tour of the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight to an opportunity to drive an Audi TT for a weekend.
Ray added: "The Lifeboat Ball Team have already turned their thoughts to next year. We look forward to starting the planning and announcing a date for 2012 very soon."
• Full list of Event Sponsors & Supporters: Centrica plc, MPI Offshore, Sid Dennis & Sons Ltd, Taylors of Skegness, Blue Anchor Leisure Ltd, Skegness Springs Ltd, East Lindsey District Council, Bray Design, Copystat, Batemans Brewery, Boston Audi, RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, The Lifeboat College, City Electrical Factors, Kuki Helicopters, Alexanders, North Shore Hotel, Hallgate Security, The Piano Academy, MKM, Stewarts Bar & Restaurant, SSP Hats, Jacksons Building Centres, Keith Fear Electrical, Hodgkinsons Solicitors, Facial Attraction, Manorcrest Homes, Little Learners, Fenland Laundries, Carter Signs, Brough Hall & Co, Miles Hartley, Michael Fagan, Nigel Millard, Dean Godden.
• The Lifeboat Ball Team: Second Coxswain Ray Chapman, Lifeboat Treasurer April Chapman, Lifeboat Press Officer Russell Matthews, Supporter Shaun Sellars, Deputy Second Coxswain Richard Watson and Inshore Lifeboat Crew Member Adam Holmes.
• For further information or comment relating to The Lifeboat Ball, please contact Ray Chapman on 07866 866777 or Russell Matthews on 07930 449602.
1. Skegness Lifeboat Station Chairman Ron Chapman (L), with wife Audrey and Lifeboat Operations Manager Alan Fisher (R). (Credit RNLI/Skegness).
2. Lifeboat Treasurer April Chapman and her husband Second Coxswain Ray Chapman. (Credit RNLI/Skegness).
3. Table centrepieces featured small RNLI lifeboats floating in fish bowls. (Credit RNLI/Skegness).
4. The Lifeboat Ball Sponsors and Supporters.